Sunday, June 30, 2013

RAK CITY BITCH

28/06/2013

AHH IM SORRY I DIDN'T BLOG LAST NIGHT AHHHHHHHHH NO LET'S NOT MAKE A HABIT OF THIS!!!!!!!!! I was just so tired and it was like 12:30am and I was watching some sort of poker show in the lounge and fell asleep and woke up one hour later and went to bed and was like NO BLOGGING, I'M TOO TIRED NOT WORTH IT

1. Random Act of Kindness Day

So, if you read my blog post from Thursday you'd know about my plan for RAK day, but just in case you need a refresher I'll go over it again. Basically today I went around the school sticking lollipops (and Roses chocolates from Steph!! THANKS STEPH) on surfaces with a little "SMILE! Happy RAK day!" message on a sticky note beside it. I think it went mostly according to plan however I do not know why it didn't occur to me that people walking behind me would probably just take the lollipop/chocolate right after I stuck it on...

Also, lots of people in my classes were asking for lollies and it made me really uncomfortable/torn. The whole point of the lollies was so that I could make RANDOM people happy by surprising them as they came across a lollipop on the wall or something, and I didn't want to really give everyone lollies and end up not having many left over to stick around the school. But then at the same time, it's not really "kind" to reject someone when they ask for lollies, especially if the whole point was to make people happy. IDK?? Oops?

But well, I hope I made someone happy on Friday from it. I think I may have made myself happy in the process! There's something about the act of doing something "kind" that makes you want to continue it and keep doing nice things for people by going out of your way to help. It's really weird - it's almost subconscious, I feel. For example, Cerys spilt Cheese's water in Bio and I just had this overwhelming urge to get up and go get paper towels to help...??? Ugh, when I write that it makes me sound so fake and as if I'm bullshitting so that I make myself out to be this super-nice person but I'm telling you - that shit's weird man. Kindness does crazy things to people. It's like eating healthy and exercising - if I actually start them off and get into it, I'm a lot less prone to eating junk food because I just want to eat healthy because I've already STARTED to eat healthy and I might as well continue, you know? And after I got the paper towels, Elaine just stared at me grinning and was like "nice RAK" (or something) and it didn't even occur to me until she said that. I just thought it was the right thing to do?? And then after speed dating Meilin was going to walk home so duh of course I offered her a ride but then she was like "is this for RAK" and it's kind of like, cAN IT JUST NOT COME OUT THE GOODNESS OF MY HEART THAT I DON'T WANT YOU TO WALK HOME ALONE IN THE DARK?!?!?!?!?!

Bottom line is that I really enjoyed doing the lollipop thing and enjoyed making people happy, but I wish I wasn't the kind of person that ISN'T associated with doing "nice things" for people. I found out that I'm apparently the kind of person that, when I do do nice things, people question the intentions behind them. That sorta makes me sad....?

Oh I just realised that wasn't positive at all. Sorry I put a shitty spin on something that ultimately was a success and that made me happy for most of the day. Is that selfish? Hmm IDK, what do you think my dedicated reader? Can something be considered a selfless act if it's something that will ultimately make you feel better about yourself? Is it - in the end - all for personal satisfaction? Or does the fact that the person is willing to go out of their way to be altruistic outweigh any selfish benefits they might gain?

If you could do a random act of kindness, what would it be? My lollipop thing was something I conjured up a couple nights before when I couldn't fall asleep, and it was the best I could come up with that didn't cost a fortune (or take an excruciating long time to plan) and was 'random' enough to be experienced by many different people. Some people were leaving nice post-it messages on peoples' lockers, and I got one which was absolutely lovely :) Even though I know who it was from hahaha. Definitely a lot more special getting handwritten notes than "like for a like"s on facebook!!!



2. Speed Dating

You know what? Speed Dating was, in my opinion, pretty fun. I'm not sure if you knew this about me, at least from reading my blog - but I really enjoy talking. A lot. I like interacting with people, however the most difficult thing I face with this is that for the most part, I am a socially awkward potato.

As I have mentioned before in a (depressing) blog post, I don't know what to do with my hands and body when I'm standing up talking to someone. I also don't know how to end conversations and get away from the person. Sooo when you put me into a scenario like speed dating where everyone has to be sitting down, and where there are actually time limits and a goddamn gong that ends a conversation FOR YOU, I'm pretty much like yessssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!! IN MA ZONE!!!!!!

I ended up meeting two people who are Sueyeon's friends - one of which is already coming to the ball with us as Steph's date; and the other who I asked whether he was willing to be set up with someone in my group who needs a ball date (probably Samai?). I also met this mutual friend off twitter who I had talked to a couple times before but never knew what he looked like, and so I didn't recognize him at speed dating. And then when I got home I saw his face on my FB feed and I was like hOLD THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!

I also saw Myron (Nee's ball date!), this guy I knew from Kum*n/Primary, and this guy I knew from my Saturday Maths Classes!!! Crazy.

3. Call Me Maybe

So at around 11pm I called Sueyeon and caught up with her and told her about my speed dating experience and meeting her friends. It's always nice chatting with her since she doesn't have a facebook or any form of other social media contact apart from her phone because she's a stubborn poop. We ended up talking for more than an hour and then my home phone ran out of battery so we had to finish the convo lol. And then I fell asleep on the couch!

See how that linked up nicely with my introduction bit? Yeah, THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE MOTHERFUCKER

2 comments:

  1. I don't believe in selfless acts, but I don't think that should stop anyone doing good anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathee, I'm curious, how do you "not believe" in "selfless acts"? :) I agree with you that nothing should stop goodness hehe :) RAK are good.

    ReplyDelete