Saturday, June 15, 2013

MUNA Day 1

14/06/2013

Day One of MUNA was... interesting, I guess. It was not what I was expecting - I thought that the people attending would take the whole assembly a lot more seriously and be better prepared. It was hard to pay attention to the speeches being given because there was so much commotion going on around us and within our groups, and a lot of the time we ended up being more focused on writing/replying to notes and alliances rather than listening to the speeches. I hoped that MUNA would be a lot more social than it currently seems to be - we do talk to people from other schools, however a lot of the time it's only through passing notes and you don't even realise what the people representing that country even look like until they get on stage (which is what happened with me and Cambodia... I thought they were girls and they ended up being guys and I was like what).

The annoying thing about this whole thing is that it's hard to actually become friends with people if you're not sitting near them, because it's unlikely that you will find out what the names of the delegates of that country even are. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO ADD PEOPLE ON FACEBOOK IF I DON'T KNOW THEIR NAMES GOSH

Strangely, even though a lot of MUNA was a total mess I quite enjoyed it!! But I have to mention that the Bloc meetings were especially irritating - some people think that just because they have loud voices means that they have good ideas and good leadership skills...

I think today was a bit too long (7:30am - 4:30pm) so by the end we were all pretty shattered (especially Hayon), but I really liked most of it!!


Highlight reel:

  • When we allied with Myanmar they sent us a chocolate brownie with their flag poking out of it awwwww!!!!
  • When USA did their speech, they started talking about how they had weapons and a military force that were so powerful, they could crush any country who was against them. In response, almost 3/4s of the countries walked out of the auditorium lol good times 
  • The Libyans were sitting behind us and one of them was some sort of tumblr-famous guy that Meilin knew and at the end she was like "are you so-and-so" and he was like "what no" in front of his fellow delegates, but a bit later he whispered to her "send me a msg" or something haaahahhhhhhhh
  • We saw Hugh and Sam (Ben's friends from New Years 2 years ago who came to Lizzi's lol remember that?) and I kind of didn't want to say anything in case they didn't remember who I was but Meilin ended up sending them a note asking for an alliance and saying hi, and they did remember me, so, yay. We talked with them later at afternoon tea and asked them where they got their costumes from and they were like "oh this shady place in roskill" and I was like .............. awkward, I literally live 2 blocks down from that road lol jfc. They're lovely guys though!! So glad we saw them!
  • Whoever was representing China were illiterate and the notes they sent us were terribly written and confusing. They obviously did not do their research because they didn't want to ally with us even though irl China just gave Uganda $500 million aid just a couple days ago.... smh
  • We got quite a few allies but I'm not sure they actually supported us in our remits. Some of our allies included: North Korea, Cambodia, Myanmar, Libya, Egypt, Afghanistan, Russia, Kenya, Switzerland, Ecuador (who wanted to start war with Canada wtf guys), Brazil, UK, Chile, South Africa, Zimbabwe (who sat next to us), Algeria, Palestine and others I can't really remember.
  • Afghanistan gave us a friendship bracelet string thingy for our alliance aw
  • UK (aka Jenny Liu and Ramali and stuff) rudely rejected our proposal for alliance in the morning and then later on wanted to be friends (and sent us a packet of sugar) and after much hesitation we agreed to.
  • We tried to ally with USA but they got us confused with another country and sent back a note asking why we wanted to declare war and we were like "wHAT NO WE DON'T WANT TO DECLARE WAR WHAT?!?!?!"
  • Mozambique were fucking ridiculous and only wanted to ally with us if we could find Kony and deliver him to their country... I'M SORRY, WE ARE THE MODEL UNITED NATIONS I DON'T SEE HOW WE CAN FIND KONY? THE REAL FUCKIN UGANDA CAN'T EVEN FIND HIM OMG
  • The security council leader was very eccentric and wore a fez and he kept doing this little bowing motion and at one point early on in the day he announced "FEZZES ARE COOL" which delighted all the Doctor Who fans of the assembly
  • Meilin and I did our speech on Remit Two on Child Soldiers and Labourers. At the end, the majority voted for the Remit whereas we were standing against the legislation (banning the use of Child Soldiers/Labourers). DISAPPOINTINGGGGGGG
  • Somebody sent us "Do you want to go to the AGS ball with me" and it didn't specify who in Uganda it was to and who it was from and we were like -____-
  • We ended up talking to Cuba while we were waiting for our taxi to arrive at the end of the day, and they had made their own cigars that smelt like cinnamon omg
  • Indonesia declared war on this huge list of countries including USA and then got shot down by Brazil who replied that you can't declare war at a UN assembly hahahahaha 
  • There was a remit to change New Zealand's name to "Middle Earth" and the legislation was passed lol
  • Speaking of: The people representing New Zealand were wearing Lord of The Rings costumes - one was Gandalf and one was Frodo with the ring
  • I HEARD 3 PEOPLE SAY THAT "IT IS A THORNY ISSUE" IT WAS THE GR8EST THING, HAYON AND I WERE JUST LIKE LOL

Countries who had cute boys:
  • Cuba 
  • Democratic Republic of Congo
  • Belgium (great butts in their shorts + suspenders omg hallelujah yes go climb dem stairs don't mind us)
  • Libya
  • New Zealand (however Meilin does not agree with me)
Meilin and I have some brilliant psychic-communication abilities with each other... we literally only have to give each other a look to know what the other person were trying to say (usually just "DAMN ISN'T HE FIIINNEEE" "yep i agree") 

They served bagels for breakfast, Ice Blocks and Sausage Sizzles for lunch (but the bread ran out so people were just eating sausages) and donuts and juice boxes for afternoon tea. DO YOU KNOW HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO EAT SAUSAGE SIZZLES AND DONUTS GRACEFULLY?! OR SAUSAGES WITHOUT LOOKING LIKE YOU'RE TRYING TO FELLATIO IT!?!?!? ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO TALK TO PEOPLE WHILST YOU'RE EATING?!??!?!



Ok, hopefully tomorrow will be more organised and have less unnecessary arguing from certain groups (cough, Mozambique).

2 comments:

  1. hahaha that sounds so fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha muna ppl generally prepare notes/research like 2 days in advance max. its a lot of fun tho

    ReplyDelete