24/08/2013
1. Had debating semifinals today. Unfortunately we didn't win, but I'm surprisingly okay with it! I'm really happy with getting into semifinals and I think getting into finals would be way too nerve-wracking anyway. It was fun though. The moot was "this house would not give organs to non-organ donors" and we were affirming so it was a bitch of a motion. Much of their case was about the principle of freedom of choice and the way that some people can't donate organs if their religion or beliefs go against it, and that the model would be discriminating against all those people because it would be forcing them to disregard their beliefs. It was sorta difficult to argue against freedom of choice and the only way we could really say anything in response to it was that they had the choice to put their beliefs in front of their decision to possibly need an organ in the future to save their lives, and they could choose to put their life before those beliefs instead. So yeah, difficult.
Before the adjudication, we shook hands with the Glendowie team, and ended up talking with them for a bit which was nice. Jade and Izzy (who are in our team and came to watch) came down from the audience to join us.
Apparently when I was doing my speech, I sauntered up to the podium in what Jade and Izzy called a "swag walk", tossed my notes to the side, and started my speech by looking down and dramatically looking up. See, I'm conscious of what I'm doing but it feels natural to me because it feels like a performance and all the "swag" stuff is just me trying to hype myself up and make sure my confidence overpowers my nervousness. It was pretty amusing looking over to where Jade and Izzy were sitting and seeing them pissing themselves laughing over my presentation -- Nadia and Cerys are already quite used to my dramatics haha. I kind of love it when I reject the point of informations with a "NO" and I can hear people laughing. I know that there isn't any maliciousness behind the laughter, so there aren't any hard feelings. I guess I just enjoy entertaining people and hearing them laugh. The podium was really low, on a table, so I had to do this awkward lean thing on it in order to read my notes, which made me look super chill and "idgaf"ish like the bad ass motherfucker I am.
Other points: Nadia couldn't pronounce "organ donor" and she said "oh-gan dor-nor" about seven times and she'd try to correct herself and at one point it was like "ohgan dornor, ugh sorry, OHGAN DORNOR... OHGAN DORNOR.. LET ME TRY AGAIN, OHGA-- ORGAN DONOR." and i was trying so hard not to laugh but my god it was brilliant.
This guy on the other team was someone Izzy knew because he was Jewish, and in his speech, he dropped, -- what Izzy calls -- "THE J-BOMB" by saying that he could personally relate to the motion due to his religious beliefs. And Izzy apparently had the most facepalm-smh reaction ever when he said that hahaha.
2. As Izzy and I were getting a ride back to her house by Mrs Palmer, we saw this group of teens in city while waiting for a red light, and we were just staring at them and making fun of their fashion choices (maroon ribbed socks with maroon shorts, really?) and then as we were staring, one of the boys turned around and saw Izzy staring and basically had this face of amused what the fuckness where his eyes bulged out and omfg it was the funniest thing because she realised that she knew the guy and he recognized her and as we drove away his face just remained in that position and he kept staring at us hahahaa
3. At Izzy's she made me the most heavenly icecream sundae with cashew salted caramel ice cream and chocolate fudge or something covered in berry sauce and frozen berries and blueberries and with a piece of waffle and it was DIVINE. Also, I ate all her beef jerky. Sorry. I hadn't ever tasted beef jerky before! That shit's good. Oh and we did work for TOK Pecha Kucha of course. Raaya was supposed to also be there but we stayed at debating for too long and Raaya had been waiting at Izzy's house for half an hour and had to leave because there were places to go, people to see, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment