6/07/2013
UGH shhh okay I am doing my best to catch up on the days I missed! Last night I did my birthday post (which was super ridiculously long) and so now I will write what happened yesterday!
1. Social Enterprise
Today was our launch day, and basically, the whole four hours consisted of rather dull and unnecessary presentations that tried to explain things that were already covered (in detail) in their info packs. I got a little excited and answered too many questions haha I AM A KEEN PARTICIPATOR OF LIFE, I AM NOT ONE TO WATCH FROM THE SIDELINES! I saw a guy from MUNA who I recognized, and said hi but couldn't really make any other opportunities to socialise with other students. I'm keen to do social enterprise and am really excited to help out the community somehow!!! Too bad I have no substantial ideas as of yet. BTW my group consists of Izzy, Cerys, and Aneeka. GON' BE FUN!
2. Dinner
After social enterprise I went out with Izzy, Cerys, and Faizah to get a bite to eat and then watch The Great Gatsby. Izzy had arrived to the launch day in her netball uniform since she went straight from there, and ended up forgetting her top, so she had to borrow Faizah's jumper. For, you know, decency and all. On our way, I popped into Smith and Caugheys and booked a ball make up appointment with Bobbi Brown on a whim. I'm going to cancel it though, because I think $90 is a bit steep for ball make up this year. Even if you do redeem it from the products you get to keep, I think I'll leave my splurging to next year. Apparently my parent's friend/restaurant manager was a make up artist back in Shanghai though, so I'm gonna ask her about maybe doing my make up the next time I see her. Going to run a trial first though, and need to get some products since I barely have anything.
Oops sorry got a bit off track there. Well, we met up with the rest of the group (10 people, not bothering listing everyone, you know who they are) and had dinner at the international food court hahaha classy. I love that place, man. Everything's cheap but still tasty, and a way better alternative to fast food eg burger king. I had korean and was so full after it that I physically felt like I was going to throw up if I moved at all. After a bit, I recovered slightly, and went with Cerys and Ling to some tea place, but due to our terrible sense of direction, we made a whole circuit around a block to get there, and realised when we were there that the place was across the street to where we had been -____-
Had an interesting convo over Ling's ever-scandalous love life on the way and there. Bless her tbh <3
3. Gatsby
When we got to the cinemas and tried to buy our tickets, the worker was pretty bloody incompetent and we lost our seats because she took too long trying to organise it, and didn't actually put the tickets through processing wtf??? She gave us seats that were on their own because there wasn't any others left (which sucked) but we ended up just taking up the whole front row because FUCK YOU THAT'S WHY
The Great Gatsby wasn't really what I was expecting in that the CGI effects were a bit shoddy and unsophisticated??? IDK, I still enjoyed it though. But if you've seen it, I guess you might be able to get what I mean. Eg when we first meet Gatsby, and he turns around, and there are fireworks behind him - the lighting on his face made it SO obvious that it was against a green screen. I can't help but wonder if all the terrible lighting was done on purpose to illustrate Gatsby's ludicrous and false lifestyle and the preposterousness of his parties??? Like, they must've had a huge budget that would've allowed better green screen lighting, right? I found myself analysing the movie so much while I was watching it!! It's actually very amusing, haha. I nearly screamed out "PATHETIC FALLACY" at one point because I got so excited over identifying it.... Ms Moy would be proud.
NGL had a few moments where I started singing along to Young and Beautiful. No shame.
If you've seen the movie, leave a comment and tell me what you thought of it!! Did u think it lived up to the book?
Extra 4. Talked to this guy on facebook and debated with him for ages over alternative medicine hahahaha... TOK - bringing people together since 2013.
Having studied the novel last year as one of my set texts, I thought the movie was pretty well done. Really nice song choices, really over-top-top which is typical of the 1920s era. I for one enjoyed it, but there were some moments where I thought it was too extravagant. I enjoyed the moments of humour, Daisy's actress was really great, and I liked how they changed it so that Nick was talking about the events from the future in rehab. The biggest let down was after Gatsby's death. They basically cut out everything? I really wanted to see them do something about Gatsby's father because to me, it just reinforces the fact that he was basically Mr Nobody from Nowhere...but I guess then the movie would have been too long. 4/5
ReplyDelete