Friday, April 26, 2013

consciousness

The problem with becoming aware of everything  - of your actions and the actions around you and what you do and what you say and how you place your arms here, there, on your hips or folded across your chest - is that you're suddenly self-conscious and bloop sorry what was that again -- something about 'confidence'?

For some reason I've always thought that having awareness is a good thing. Knowledge is power, and what better knowledge than the knowledge of your life and yourself and your surroundings?

But as I've grown to become more 'knowledgeable' and conscious to how people react to the things I say and the way I act, I've sunk deeper into myself and am chronically feeling as if I'm growing inwards rather than out at the world.

I preferred to be ignorant to the way people nervously but politely laugh or subtly glance at each other when I swear or crack a dirty joke or say something inappropriate (which I find funny, of course). Except I don't find it funny any more because you don't find it funny and neither does she and that comment didn't get a 'like' and that joke didn't get a laugh and -- I'm sorry I think it'd be better if I just stayed quiet from now on.

I don't know how to stand when I'm around new people or people I don't know very well. I speak too loud and too fast and I come on too strong and my mouth moves ahead of my brain and I'm not enunciating enough and whoops sorry that just slipped out (It didn't even make any sense, grammatically or logically) my god Vicky what the fuck are you even on about just stop please

(They already thought you were weird enough and now look what you've done!)

(You made it worse!)

But really, what are my arms doing, I can't cross my arms because I've read in all those magazines that crossing your arms when you're talking to someone means that you shut yourself off from them and it makes them subconsciously think that you're not interested, so I guess that's out. How about on your hips - no, now you just look like a beat-down mother chastising her five year old for not picking up his toys. I wish I could just dangle them on my sides but that feels so uncomfortable and unnatural even though that's the natural way to hold your arms in the first place.

I hate being perpetually afraid of awkward silences because they always cause me to fill the quiet with some stupid story that no one is interested in, with an unsatisfying ending and no punchline.

The problem with becoming aware of everything is that you end up not wanting to be aware of anything at all.

2 comments:

  1. I know this situation exactly - especially the arm folding!! Oh my god do you know how much I fidget when someone's talking to me and I don't know what to do with my arms. And while sometimes I think I would like to be blissfully ignorant, somehow I always come back to thinking that I'd rather be painfully aware. I would say just be yourself but when I say that to myself I can never figure out whether I can do that because does being consciously aware of yourself change your actions and make you not yourself? Ok that wasn't helpful. Sorry. Thank you for expressing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY GUESS WHAT VICKY, HERE'S SOMEONE WHO'S BEEN LIVING THIS HARDSHIP HER WHOLE LIFE UNTIL THE AGE OF 16 kinda.

    Yea, it's not easy. You remember how you pointed out to me that I'm a "people please" last year, I realised, that's a very succinct and honest way to put it. I worried too much about what others think about every single tiny detail of my actions/words. If I'd accidentally coughed when they smiled at me, OHMYGAWD THEY PROBABLY THINK I'M A HORRIBLE PERSON PROBABLY THE NEXT OSAMA BIN LADEN OKAY CAN I JUST LEAVE THIS SCHOOL NOW I'M TERRIFIED WHAT IF THEY SPREAD RUMOURS ABOUT ME ABOUT HOW I'M A BITCH AND DON'T KNOW THE MEANING OF COURTESY WOW NOW EVERYONE KNOWS HOW UNCIVILISED I AM AND ALL THE TEACHERS WILL KNOW AND THEY'LL START HATING ON ME AND GIVE ME BAD REPORTS I AM SUCH A BAD BAD HORRIBLE PERSON I DON'T DESERVE TO BE HERE
    or like if Miss Jones doesn't return my hi in the hallway just 1ce out of the million times she's done so OKAY THIS IS IT SHE'S FINALLY SEEN ALL THE BAD THINGS IN MY AND SHE KNOWS THAT I AM A BADBADBADBADBADBADBABDBADBDBAABDBABDBDABADBBADBDABDABADBBADBABDBADBABBDABDABADBDBA person
    and I spend all this time thinking these thoughts when I should've actually opened up my eyes and see that they didn't actually give a hoot. I guess I've finally come to an understanding that people are (generally) kind and forgiving and understanding and accept everyone's idiosyncrasies and if they have that open mind to accept you, then their opinions are worth listening to. If they kinda look at you all weird and shiz, yea, whatever. They must have a narrow-minded view of everything and are probably idiots.

    I'm also rather ashamed to admit that I used to refresh my "connect" and "notification" button on twitter and FB in the hopes of seeing that someone has liked/favourited/retweeted my joke. (Actually I shouldn't have used the past tense there uhm)

    I AM FULLY EMPATHETIC TO THIS FEELING VICKY. I REALLY FEEL YA MAN. I REALLY DO.

    ReplyDelete