Friday, March 15, 2013

what are the chances

Can someone please remind me what the point is in applying for something or putting in hours of time and effort into something if there is less than 5% chance of you winning or getting what you want.

I have a real problem with wanting to do things, and then becoming intimidated by applications, and just deciding not to even bother with trying.

Which is odd because I'm really determined for everything else I do? It's just like... competitions or scholarships or whatever that I feel like there is no way I would have a chance because there are people out there applying who are so so so much better than I am.





I wore my tartan uniform to polyfest, which was embarrassing because no one else decided to do it.

I went to the supermarket and a shop assistant told me I couldn't operate the lotto checker thingy because I was "under 15". Thanks for reminding me I look like a 12 year old, but I'm actually 16, sir!



2 comments:

  1. Fake it til you make it. Idk if something about St Cuths but it makes you modest and maybe not recognize your positive points, because there are so many other amazing people around. But in terms of the general population the actual democratic of the community there is already very near the top.

    A fear of failure will prevent you from achieving your full potential. Someone taught me recently that if you overestimate yourself and try your best to achieve something that even you think is slightly out of your reach, you still extend yourself and grow more than not trying at all and being complacent with your level as you are now.

    Instead of pursuing solely success it's important to recognize that improvement is a good side effect as well I think.

    I was personally in high school one of those people who felt satisfied and tended to underestimate myself to keep in a comfort zone and avoid failure, only trying things I thought I would succeed in. But I do wish I extended myself a bit more now because I probably would have learned more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 99.99% confidence that I will fail French schols, but heck, I'm learning heaps of new words and phrases, as well as the ideas in the topics we do. I don't care whether I pass or fail it either. Just as long as I'm using up the extra hours for improvement and experience rather than achievement.

    And I DID get knocked out of Kidsline interview and that summer job, but now I know the things that I lacked that prevented me from getting in (e.g. showing self-confidence, not getting carried away by my emotions, being open, warm and friendly because first impressions really do matter despite my essay on FB regarding SAT & universities etc.etc.) So all those hours poured into the applications didn't all go to waste.

    Sure, the possibility of success may be low in some cases, but hey remember high school probability? The more times you do it, the more successful results you'll get i.e. Probability x number of trials = number of events happening

    BTW Vicky I don't want you to feel I'm undermining you or anything. Trying to practice my argument writing here for SAT and general life. :D

    ReplyDelete