Monday, December 10, 2012

family

the concept of family is this interesting and odd puzzle that is really quite hard to define. i think it's ambiguity really stems from the fact that no two families are the same, and sometimes (as bobby singer off supernatural famously said) "family don't end with blood".

For example, in my family, we're a pretty unapologetic bunch. We never really deliver heartfelt 'i'm sorry's or even talk about our past arguments where heated words were exchanged. Never. It's obviously rather unhealthy but I guess it works for us. I can have a huge falling out with my dad, and not talk to him for three days and completely avoid his existence, but things will inevitably be forgiven and forgotten after those couple of days and we'll return to normal. Is that a normal thing among families? I wouldn't know, since my family is the only family I have right now.

I guess that's not really true though, depending on your definition of the word 'family'. Your close friends can be your family, too. However, you can still be a part of a family even if the group of people involved are complete strangers to you. You don't have to like them, you don't have to trust them, but they may still be your relatives and thus, your family.

I just finished reading 'Room' by Emma Donoghue (I had read half of it earlier this term and had to return it since it was overdue, but got it out again) and in the novel, the theme of family (especially between mother and child) was pretty predominant, along with the themes of childhood and other existentialist shit like "what's really real" and whether our idea of 'normal' is only normal because it's what we've lived with and been exposed to for our whole lives etc etc but yeah, whatever, read the book and you'll get what I mean since I don't really want to explain the whole plotline tbh


1 comment:

  1. wow is it just me or did I just whiz through reading this post? IDK when I read real fast and still take in everything I'm like YES I CAN FINALLY READ or maybe it's just your writing style that complements my brain idk.

    Anyway, yea, pretty interesting. My family's like that too. I've ignored my dad for a whole heap longer than 3 days and we do kinda make little gestures and smart-alecs to imply that we're still supposed to be hostile to each other but at the same time we do nice stuff for each other lmao IDK.

    Hmmmmmmmmm food for thought, aye?

    ReplyDelete